Have you been searching for information on how to work as a Game Warden in South Carolina? We have compiled some important information for you on your path to working as a Game Warden in South Carolina. South Carolina game warden requirements can be detailed. Our goal is to help you succeed in the process toward working as a South Carolina Game Warden or South Carolina Wildlife Officer.
Find schools and get information on the program that’s
right for you.
(It’s fast and free!)
Eligibility Requirements for South Carolina Game Warden
Age: 21 years old or older is required in South Carolina during the period of entry to academy.
Permit: People must keep a driving record that is largely clean.
Military Service: Applicants that are former members of the USA military require ‘Under Honorable States’ release documentation.
Academic Credentials: GED or high school diploma is required. Candidates should possess a Bachelor’s degree or an Associate’s degree with years of experience.
Added Requirements for South Carolina Wildlife Officer or Game Warden:
- Official 10-year driving history in the DMV
- Written test for problem solving and essential abilities
- Completed on-line application
- Birth certificate
- Driver’s license
- Basic Training
- Report writing
- Court etiquette and processes
- Firearms training
- National and state boating, hunting, and fishing regulations
- Administrative jobs in enforcement
- Equipment use and vehicle and care
Work Qualifications: Candidates should make available documents establishing eligibility and identity for U.S. employment.
As you make progress through the application procedure, applicants must pass an intensive background check. The following factors may be considered disqualifying factors:
- Flawed moral character
- Having broken federal or state fish and game regulations in previous three years
- Conviction for offenses of moral laxity
- Conviction for offenses whose sentence surpassed one year
- Almost any felony conviction
- No tattoos or body art allowed on any portion of the body that could be observable while wearing official dress or any DNR uniform
- Officers are forbidden from willful mutilation of the body in any way
Medical Condition: An authorized doctor must examine the applicant to make sure that he, or she, is in good health.
Hearing: The applicant must have hearing sufficient to perform functions of a game warden and every one of the critical responsibilities, including directional, long distance and voice dialogue hearing.
Eyesight: Visual acuity correctable in each eye to 20/20. Normal binocular color vision using the full area of periphery is demanded. Nominees that have experienced corrective eye surgery often must adhere to minimum vision standards.
Physical Preparation: The applicant should be of sound physical condition and be an adept swimmer. Applicants must successfully complete each part of the physical preparation testing that may include the following components:
- Obstacle course
- 150-pound drag
- Treading water
Mental Illness: The applicant must maintain mental well-being that is appropriate to finish training and be eligible for hire.
Desirable Qualifications for South Carolina Game Warden or South Carolina Wildlife Officer
- Use, and take, various firearms safely and efficiently
- Capable on horseback, boats, by airplane, as well as in quite a few vehicles
- Show an aptitude for composing reports and maintaining evidence, gathering data, and testifying in court
- Capability to organize and to promote hunter education systems
- Skill to gather and report informative data on fish/wildlife and the states of their habitats
- Readiness to professionally and enthusiastically represent the bureau at South Carolina assemblies and schools of special interest groups
- Efficiently work and negotiate a vehicle
- Professional school or development classes in natural resource management, criminology, psychology, business sciences or management
- Skill to make use of word processing, spreadsheet, database and e-mail applications in a networked environment
- Skilled at conveying professional grade English grammar, spelling, punctuation, vocabulary, and writing; comprehension and reading
- Capability to make use of foundational mathematics skills, including estimate, payroll/accounts receivable, and advanced arithmetic
Salary Information for Fish and Game Wardens in South Carolina
Game wardens in South Carolina take home a great salary while pursuing a fulfilling career protecting fish and game of his or her state. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average game warden in the state of South Carolina makes a median salary between 40,000 and 60,000 per year.
1000 Assembly Street
Columbia, SC 29201