Are you seeking information about how to work as a Game Warden in Maryland? If so, you have come to the right place, where we have put together a detailed outline with the information you need for working as a Game Warden in Maryland, or Maryland Wildlife Officer.
Find schools and get information on the program that’s
right for you.
(It’s fast and free!)
Eligibility Requirements for Maryland Game Warden
Age: Requirement of 20.5 years of age or older at the appointment time.
Citizenship: U.S. Citizenship proof or naturalization records are needed. Confirmation of Maryland residency is needed.
Military Service: If applicant is a former member of any division of the USA military, he or she must have Honorable Release paperwork.
Legal History: Applicants must pass a fingerprint background check and polygraph in order to move forward in the application procedure. Nominees should be free from the following:
- Substance or alcohol dependence
- Been convicted of a crime or a felony involving moral laxity
- Convicted of a felony violation
- Convicted of false statement or perjury
Academic Credentials: GED or H.S. Diploma is required; Bachelor’s degree or Associate’s in wildlife management or criminal justice is an advantage.
- Written exam
- Fundamental policeman training in defensive tactics, firearms, search and seizure, and arrests
Technique Training for Law Enforcement
Training for Officers with regards to arrests, search and seizures, and firearms.
A specialization-training consisting of the following:
- 4-wheel Operations
- Patrol on ATV
- Waterfowl Identification
- Training on Seizures
- Wildlife, Fish and Waterfowl Forensics
- Survival and Crisis Boat Operations
- Boat Mishap Investigations
Interview: Nominees are going to have a panel interview with human resources staff and enforcement officers.
Medical assessment: The nominee will likely be assessed to ensure that he or she is in good health.
Hearing: The applicant must have “good” hearing.
Vision: Must have 20/20 binocular vision.
Polygraph Test: A trained polygraph operator interviews the candidate regarding their personal history and possible violations.
Physical Preparation Evaluation: The applicant must complete a physical preparation test showing they are in a position to finish operation as shown below:
- 18 push-ups in 1 minute
- 27 sit-ups in 1 minute
- Having the capability to stretch and reach about 1.5″ beyond one’s toes
- Pulling a gun (handgun) trigger 10 times with each hand
Mental Illness: Nominees must have sound mental health appropriate for their occupation.
Desirable Qualifications and Abilities for Maryland Fish and Game Warden
- Display effective utilization of English, including clarity and written mechanics, together with reasoned verbal discussions.
- Display effective utilization of math, including data collection, basic bookkeeping, estimating, and advanced arithmetic.
- Exhibit abilities in additional languages, if possible.
- Knowledge of wildlife management, law enforcement and habitat resources.
- Create and maintain effective interpersonal relationships within department as well as beyond.
- Stay dedicated to professional development.
- Efficiently use snowmobiles, boats, and ATVs for pursuit and patrol.
- Efficiently utilize firearms and train others on safety and firearms.
Salary Information for Game Warden in Maryland, or Maryland Wildlife Officer
Game wardens in Maryland take home a great salary while pursuing a fulfilling career protecting fish and game in the state. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average game warden in the state of Maryland makes a median salary of $74,620 per year.
580 Taylor Ave
Annapolis MD 21401
Phone: (443) 534-2288