If you are looking for information as to how to become a Game Warden (Alaska Wildlife Officer) in Alaska, you have come to the right place. Here, we have provided you with a detailed overview of Alaska game warden requirements.
Find schools and get information on the program that’s
right for you.
(It’s fast and free!)
Through invaluable education, presence, and ongoing enforcement action, the Division of Alaska Wildlife Troopers is committed to the following:
- Statewide Sport Fish and Sport Fish Guiding
- Reduction of Unlawful Harvest and Sales of Wild-Stocks
- Reduction of Boating Related Deaths and Injuries
- Safeguarding Habitats
- Reduction of Illegal Harvest and Sale of Sport Fish
- Statewide Game and Trapping
- Prevention of Waste and Illegal Harvest
- Boating Safety
- Statewide Patrol of Commercial Big Game Services
- Identification of Illegal Guiding and Transporter Activities
- Statewide Commercial Fisheries
- Reduction of Watershed Damage and Non-Compliance of Environmental Permits
Special Assignments for Alaska Game Warden
Alaska Bureau of Investigations
ABI maintains the task for coordinating and conducting major criminal investigations within Alaska Fish and Game Warden jurisdiction, to include the following:
- computer and internet crimes
- sexual assaults
- polygraph examinations
- missing persons and lengthier property crimes investigations.
HQ in Anchorage
Located in posts in Anchorage, Bethel, Dillingham, Fairbanks, Juneau, Ketchikan, Kotzebue, Nome, Palmer, Soldotna, Wasilla
Seven Investigation Units:
- Major Crimes
- Technical Crimes
- Cold Case Investigations
- Statewide Drug Enforcement
- Property Crimes
- Financial Crimes
- Child Abuse Investigations
- Alaska Bureau of Highway Patrol
ABHP has an emphasis on impaired driving enforcement and is responsible for coordinating and/or conducting additional traffic law enforcement on a statewide basis. In addition, ABHP is responsible for the investigation of fatal and major incapacitating injury collisions statewide and for responding to enforcement and investigative requests by other agencies.
S.E.R.T. for Alaska Game Wardens
The Alaska State Trooper Special Emergency Reaction Team (SERT) responds to high-risk incidents including:
- hostage situations
- warrant executions
- terrorist incidents
SERT Teams are located in the urban posts of Fairbanks, Palmer, and Soldotna. SERT is an added, voluntary assignment for specially-qualified Troopers in addition to their other duties. SERT Troopers train regularly and remain on call after hours for emergencies.
- Judicial Services
- Each location has one Sergeant and one Trooper to supervise the Court Service Officers, as well as serve warrants and court orders, etc.
- Search and Rescue
- Organize resources from multiple agencies and provide assets when needed
Salary Information for Game Wardens in Alaska
Alaska Game Wardens in Alaska take home a great salary while pursuing a fulfilling career protecting fish and game of his or her state. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average Alaska Fish and Wildlife Officer makes a median salary of 40,000 and 60,000 per year.
Alaska Game Warden Eligibility Requirements
Alaska Department of Fish and Game
5700 E. Tudor Rd.
Anchorage, AK 99507
Phone: (907) 269-5976
Department of Public Safety Recruitment
Sources: http://www.dps.state.ak.us, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaska_State_Troopers