Have you been searching for information on how to work as a Game Warden, or Wildlife Officer, in Utah? We have compiled some important information for you on your path to working as a Utah Game Warden. Our goal is to facilitate your success on the path toward working as a Game Warden or Wildlife Officer in Utah.
Eligibility Requirements for Utah Game Warden, or Utah Wildlife Officer
Age: 18 years old or older is required during the period of academy entry in Utah.
Permit: A legal Utah-issued driver’s license is needed.
Military Service: Applicants that are former members of the USA military require ‘Under Honest States’ release documentation.
Work Qualifications: Candidates should be able to demonstrate substantiating documents proving eligibility and identity for U.S. employment.
Legal History: Disqualifying components could include the following:
- Having signs of poor moral choices
- Convicted of a felony in another state or Utah
- Unsuccessful drug testing before employment
Academic Credentials: GED or high school diploma is required. Applicants should have biological sciences or a Bachelor’s degree in wildlife, law enforcement or a related discipline.
Added Utah Game Warden Requirements: State employment application as well as a written test for fundamental reading, writing, and problem solving abilities.
POST Training 13 weeks process conducted in the Salt Lake City Police Academy. This vital training includes such significant issues as:
- Canine trailing
- Defensive strategies
- Operation of vehicles
- Arrest and pursuit processes
3 month program with in-depth conservation officer training, that contains the following facets that are significant:
- State and national wildlife regulations
- Technology for office and the field
- Crime scene evidence
- Court best practices and processes for policemen
- Patrol and pursuit strategies
Interview: Nominees could have a face-to-face panel interview with four conservation officers and a staff biologist.
Medical Condition: An authorized doctor must examine the applicant to make sure that they adhere to the requirements of the job and maintain adequate health.
Hearing: The applicant will need to have hearing which is satisfactory to perform all of the critical responsibilities and functions of a Game Warden, including directional, long distance and voice dialogue hearing.
Eyesight: Visual acuity correctable to 20/20 in each eye. Normal binocular color vision with a full field of periphery is mandatory.
Physical Preparation: The applicant should maintain sound physical condition and be adept at swimming. Applicants must successfully complete each part of the physical preparation testing that can cover these important areas:
- Cardiovascular endurance
- Muscular endurance
Mental Illness: Applicants will be involved in a psychological assessment to ascertain total indexes of mental health.
Desirable Qualifications and Abilities for Utah Fish and Game Warden
- Required utilize and to bear various firearms and weapons
- Capable on horseback, boats, airplane, as well as in various vehicles
- Show an aptitude for composing reports and preserving evidence, gathering, and testifying in court
- Aptitude for marketing hunter education programs
- Skill to gather and report informative data on the states of their habitat and wildlife as well as fish
- Readiness to professionally and enthusiastically represent the bureau at Utah assemblies and schools of special interest groups
- Efficiently operate and negotiate a vehicle on difficult and challenging terrain
- Professional development or school classes in sciences, criminology, psychology, business direction, or natural resource management
- Capability to make use of word processing, spreadsheet, database and e-mail applications in a networked environment
- Capability to communicate with professional degree English grammar, spelling, punctuation, vocabulary, and writing; comprehension and reading
Salary Information for Fish and Game Wardens in Utah
Game wardens in Utah take home a great salary while pursuing a fulfilling career protecting fish and game of his or her state. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average game warden in the state of Utah makes a median salary between 40,000 and 60,000 per year.
Salt Lake City, UT 84114-6301
Phone: (801) 537-3112
Schooling Information for Game Wardens in Utah
- Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice
- Criminal Justice - Bachelor
- M.S. in Criminal Justice: Law Enforcement
- Criminal Justice, MA
- Homeland Security, MA
- DEM - Emergency Management
- BS - Criminal Justice
- DBA - Criminal Justice
- DBA - Homeland Security: Leadership & Policy
- MBA - Criminal Justice
- MBA - Homeland Security
- MPA - Criminal Justice
- BSCJ – Law Enforcement
- BSCJ – Juvenile Justice
- BSCJ – Homeland Security
- BSCJ – Forensic Psychology
- BSCJ – Crime Scene Investigation
- BS in Criminal Justice
- MSCJ - Corrections
- MSCJ - Global Issues in Criminal Justice
- MSCJ - Law
- MSCJ - Leadership/Executive Management
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice
- Master of Science in Homeland Security and Emergency Management
- Bachelor of Science in Fire Science
- Associate of Applied Science in Criminal Justice and Criminology
- Associate of Applied Science in Public Safety and Security
- Associate of Applied Science in Fire Science
- Bachelor of Science in Fire and Emergency Management
- BS in Corrections
- MS in Criminology
- BS in Criminology
- Master of Science in Criminal/Social Justice
- BS in Cybersecurity - Information Assurance
- BS in Cybersecurity - Cybercrime and Fraud Investigation
- BS in Cybersecurity - Network Forensics and Intrusion Investigation
- BS in Cybersecurity - Homeland Security and Emergency Management
- BS in Cybersecurity - Cyber Operations
- Masters in Financial Crime and Compliance Management
- MBA Economic Crime and Fraud Management
- MS Cybersecurity - Intelligence
- MS Cybersecurity - Computer Forensics
- MS Cybersecurity - Cyber Operations
- AA in Criminal Justice
- BA in Criminal Justice
- BA in Criminal Justice - Criminalistics Specialization
- BA in Criminal Justice - Homeland Security Specialization